Hot dogs

Four PM on Saturday and Lilli is already queuing for the sauna. Unfortunately for her it isn’t even switched on yet. She is ready to go at the drop of a hat, no matter the day or time, but she definitely knows what the normal schedule is and likes to get in early.

Mimmi on the other hand seems to go just because everyone else is in there. She doesn’t stay more than a few minutes at a time, but Lilli has to be literally dragged out. She can pretty much out last both of us.

Two hot dogs

A theme

Just patched the theme I use here. I can’t say it is a particularly pretty theme, but it is all mine. And now that I have this site set up again it is time to start actually getting things in order.

By the way, the theme is at GitHub.

A go at WordPress

I had a slightly aborted attempt at migrating this site to a WordPress installation a few months ago.

A theme was done and I tried doing an import of the contents, but somewhere along the way got sidetracked. I guess it is time to start again.

It took a little work, but I have recreated a local testing WordPress setup again and actually documented this time what I should do when setting up the real server. Basically it should be ready to go, if not exactly pretty. But in any case I think I’ll try doing an attempt at migration before installing anything to the real server.

Something else to consider is how to keep regular backups of the WordPress contents and database now that they will actually live on the server and not my local machine. WordPress does have a bit of a reputation for not surviving long on the net…

Another fix

Another fix for the fix.

Turns out that supporting the new AJAX based next/previous was too much of a pain to get working in old browers. So easiest thing is to have graceful fallback. New browsers get the AJAX with history updating. The old ones get just normal hyperlinks.

Forgot to mention that I have a GitHub account now too.

Fixed

IE10 is fixed correctly now.

I did a quick hack the other day that worked, but now the library I was using is fixed as well, so I can get rid of the hack.

I’m not happy with how the images rotate once the article becomes visible, but if I apply the rotation before the image is part of the page it doesn’t seem to stick. Either some jQuery weirdness or the browser allows the CSS to override the style attribute. I can’t imagine that is the case though. Either that or I don’t understand something important…

 

Green no more :-(

Seems I have been neglecting this site for a while and things broke. Well, actually the W3C now started validating meta tags and this CMS produces one that isn’t listed. Not a big problem in the scope of things I guess.

Anyway that started me thinking that I should probably migrate this whole thing to something like WordPress. Probably I will once I get my hosting upgraded and double check that they actually support it.

In the mean time I started playing with this site again. First thing was to fix up the JavaScript a bit. I also added the ability to go to next/previous articles inside one section. Done with a little AJAX magic and some history altering. Unfortunately it seems the wrapper library for history doesn’t actually work with IE10, so if you have upgraded already I apologize :-(. It isn’t actually needed at all in IE10 anyway since it natively supports HTML5 history. I’ll have to let the developer know…

Playing again

Changes are afoot.

You might notice things look a bit different around here. I did warn this would happen, it just took longer than I thought. I do suggest that you upgrade your browser to something modern though. The latest Google Chrome, Firefox4 Beta, or IE9 Beta improve things quite a lot.

Snow, damn snow

As you might have heard it has snowed a little bit in the south of Finland this year. And this has caused us and others a few problems.

Firstly we were running out of places to put all the snow.

     

But now the temperature has risen above zero C for the first time in about 60 days. That and predictions of more sleet and snow are giving rise to warnings about snow loadings on roofs. There has already been one sports hall roof collapse and although we have no idea of the actual loading of the house it is better to be safe than sorry. As it turns out the snow was up to 1m deep on our roof in places, although a bit less on average. That gives about 100kg per square metre (depending on snow density) and then with the size of the roof (about 185 sq.m) that is about 18 tonnes loading on the roof… Sooo, maybe a good idea to take some of it off.

Luckily our roof isn’t so steep and the snow was pretty deep. So not much slippage which was good for me. The snow layers separated pretty well, which in the mountains would be good for avalanches… But for me it meant it was a bit easier to remove the snow. Although it took several hours to clear the whole roof over the weekend and quite many aches and pains.

  

Unfortunately we thought we had a snow problem before.

Now we really have a snow problem…

So much that it is a bit difficult to get out of the house now!